Jostens today announced the winners of the 2010 Photo Contest. The nationally acclaimed, annual competition, co-sponsored by Jostens and Wolfe's Camera, recognizes the outstanding accomplishments of student photographers from around the country. Jostens believes strongly in helping students express themselves, celebrate experiences and traditions, recognize achievements and share their stories. This competition allows students to positively record their school experiences and showcase their school communities through photography.
Over 8,000 entries were submitted from high school, junior high school, and middle school student photographers from which only 103 winners were selected. Photo Contest submissions were judged on composition, artistic merit, and technical qualities, as well the ability to convey a compelling story. In addition to one Grand Prize, awards were conferred in nine categories: Academics/Community Service, Illustration, Pictorial, Portrait - Color, Portrait - Black & White, School Spirit, Sports: Athletes in Action, Student Life, and Junior High/Middle School.
This year’s Grand Prize and 1st Place winners are:
- Grand Prize: Flashing Lights, Mackenzie Wylie, Shawnee Mission East High School, Prairie Village, KS.
- Academics/Community Service: Bridge to Adventure, Michael L.T. Sugimura, Seabury Hall, Makawau, HI.
- Illustration: Breathe, Matt Ehnes, Great Falls High School, Great Falls, MT.
- Pictorial: Frolic, Colleen Vaughan, Coppell High School, Coppell, TX.
- Portrait - Color: Snowy Sundays, Danielle Norton, Shawnee Mission East High School, Prairie Village, KS.
- Portrait - Black & White: Happy Day, Morgan Smith, Coppell High School, Coppell, TX.
- School Spirit: Breaking Out, Whit Pruitt, Bryant High School, Bryant, AR.
- Sports: Athletes in Action: untitled, Nikki Stivers, Lonoke High School, Lonoke, AR.
- Student Life: Huddle, Erica Oswalt, Green Valley High School, Henderson, NV.
- Junior High/Middle School: Escape!, Victoria Elajami, Milwee Middle School, Longwood, FL.
"This photography competition is a great way to celebrate the student's school experiences and traditions and honors their great work as well as recognizes their unique talent," said Gary Lundgren, Jostens' senior program manager/education. "Our photo contest provides an outlet for students to express themselves and demonstrates that sophisticated, high quality photography is being created by students in schools all across the country. We hope this contest is a springboard for the next award-winning photojournalist."
Mackenzie Wylie's Grand Prize winning photograph, along with the winning photographs from each of the nine additional Photo Contest categories, will be featured on the Jostens.com website. They will also be featured in the 2011 issue of the Jostens' Gotcha Covered Look Book, a popular resource for yearbook advisers and staffs seeking creative ideas, trends and inspiration.
Minneapolis-based Jostens is a provider of products, programs and services that help people inspire achievement and preserve memories. The company's products include school yearbooks and memory books, OurHubbub™ brand MemoryBooks, scholastic products such as class rings and graduation products, and products for athletic champions and their fans. Jostens is a subsidiary of Visant Corporation, a marketing and publishing services enterprise servicing the school affinity, direct marketing, fragrance and cosmetics sampling and educational publishing market segments.