Jostens today announced on Facebook® the winners of the nationally acclaimed 2011 Photo Contest. The annual competition, co-sponsored by Jostens and Wolfe's Camera™, celebrates the creative and innovative talents of student photographers from schools across the country. This competition empowers students to positively capture their school experiences and share the stories of their entire school communities through photography. Many of the award-winning photos will also appear in school yearbooks.
Entries from more than 6,000 student photographers were submitted from more than 500 schools. From these entries, 114 winners were selected. Photo Contest submissions were judged on composition, artistic merit, and technical qualities, as well the ability to convey a compelling story. One Grand Prize winner was selected along with 1st – 5th place and honorable mention winners from eight categories: Academics/Community Service, Graduation, Illustration, Portrait, Sports: Athletes in Action, Sports: Sidelines & School Spirit, Student Life & Activities, and Junior High/Middle School.
This year's Grand Prize and 1st Place winners are:
- Grand Prize: All as One, Bridget Bennett, Hopkins High School, Minnetonka, MN
- Academics/Community Service: Water Lab, Casey Simmons, Westlake High School, Austin, TX
- Graduation: Salutatorian, Sidney Hollingsworth, Westlake High School, Austin, TX
- Illustration: Scorched - with missing pieces, Leah Rachel Von Essen, Holmdel High School, Holmdel, NJ
- Portrait - Color: Piano Man, Tessa Ostvig, Orono High School, Long Lake, MN
- Sports: Athletes in Action: Freestyle, Alyssa Muraoka, lolani School, Honolulu, HI
- Sports: Sidelines & School Spirit: Pumped Up, Nathan Kallison, Westlake High School, Austin, TX
- Student Life & Activities: Oh Conrad, Bril Flint, Westlake High School, Austin, TX
- Junior High/Middle School: Soul Grate, Amethyst Ortega, Ebenezer Middle School, Rincon, GA
"Jostens is honored to recognize the artistic talents of student photographers and their ability to capture important school experiences and traditions through the lenses of their cameras," said Gary Lundgren, Jostens' senior program manager/education. "Our photo contest allows students to personalize, share and remember school experiences through sophisticated, high quality photography. Many of the submitted photos will help tell their school story as part of the yearbook."
Bridget Bennett's Grand Prize winning photograph, along with the winning photographs from each of the eight additional Photo Contest categories, were announced on www.facebook.com/Jostens and will be featured on the Jostens.com Web site. They will also be featured in the 2012 issue of the Jostens' Gotcha Covered Look Book, a popular resource for yearbook advisers and staffs seeking creative ideas, trends and inspiration.
Minneapolis-based Jostens is a provider of products, programs and services that help people tell their stories, celebrate important traditions and recognize achievements. The company's products include school yearbooks and other memory book products, scholastic products such as class rings and graduation products, and products for athletic champions and their fans. Jostens is a subsidiary of Visant Corporation, a marketing and publishing services enterprise servicing the school affinity, direct marketing, fragrance and cosmetics sampling and educational and trade publishing segments.
# # #