A DVD is a great complement to the yearbook or as a special supplement for Homecoming, Prom, Graduation or sporting event. And the DVD label can match your yearbook cover for a complete package!
Thousands of images are collected throughout the school year. Many more than can fit in the yearbook. Here is an easy method to highlight even more of what happened during the year with video as well. You can customize your project by topics or just pick your songs and send us the material, we'll do the rest.
On this site you will find step-by-step instructions that will guide you through creating your school's DVD supplement. You will also find a collection of more than 70 songs by popular local artists. Select five of your favorite songs from this library and enter them on the Final Submission form.
If you need more information or have any questions, please contact us.
Gather high quality content. The better the quality of the photos and video you provide, the better the overall quality of your final DVD.
Your completed DVD supplement will be assembled from varying lengths of video clips (used in lengths of approximately 4-6 seconds each) and still images (used in lengths of approximately 2 seconds each). Our professional editors will decide which clips to use, their length, and location in the final video. There are no re-edits for creative reasons. "Must-use" content must be listed in the special instructions section of the Final Submission Form.
The number of images needed is listed next to each song in the music sampler. As the production of your DVD is a creative process, please note that some video or photo content may be excluded or altered during the editing process. If you have content that must be treated in a specific fashion, provide instructions detailing which images and clips are more essential than others and how you would like them used in the production. (Essential content must be listed in the special instructions section of the Final Submission Form.)
Jostens will not return any content submitted. Digital duplicates for both video and still images are preferred.
Listen to the available music tracks. This music library has been licensed by Jostens for use on your DVD supplement. Jostens will not accept music selections from outside the provided library.
Select up to 5 separate music tracks (5 chapters of content). Next to each song title, the number of images needed and recommended is listed. To ensure you have submitted enough content follow the guidelines for the images recommended. If you do not have enough material, select shorter songs or reduce the number of songs in your project.
Use the Submission Form to indicate the music tracks for your DVD in the order you want them to appear.
Your content will be presented in a style consistent with the pace and genre of music.
Natural sound (background, voices, narration, etc.) will not be used in the music videos.
Place your content and Final Submission Form in the envelope provided and send to Jostens. The Final Submission form must be filled out completely. Failure to do so may result in a delay to your order delivery.
Jostens will ship the finished DVD supplement within 3 weeks of receiving the DVD supplement content.
Jostens will not return any content submitted for the DVD production. Digital duplicates are requested.
The DVD label will match your yearbook cover. If this is not possible or if you prefer, you may select a label from Jostens Pre-Designed Covers or supply your own digital artwork.
Submit your materials to the following address:
Attn: DVD Supplement
4000 South Adams
Topeka, KS 66609
Content Mix (video and still images)
We suggest using a mix of both video and still images in your DVD supplement. For best results, submission of video clips of approximately 8-10 seconds in length is preferred. Jostens will then break the clips provided into segments of approximately 4-6 seconds in length for the best effect in the final project.
If you would like to organize your DVD into separate categories for each song – such as formals, sports, seniors, etc., – the recommended method of constructing your DVD project is as follows:
- Based on the number of digital pictures and video clips you have, create up to 5 categories. Most songs will require 80–140 images. Create a folder for each category to organize your material.
- Select songs for your categories based on the number of images you have and your desired style of music.
- The Jostens music library specifies the number of images needed for each song.
- Each video clip of about 6 seconds usually reduces the total number of images needed by 3.
Use the number of "images recommended" in the name of each folder to help ensure you have enough material for each song. See diagram above as an example. All images may not be used.
- If you have specific images that must be used in a song, create a subfolder in that song called "must use" and move those images/clips there to ensure usage.
- Every effort will be made to accommodate the instructions found in the Submission Form. Due to the creative nature of this product, no guarantee can be given that all material will be used exactly in the manner originally intended.
- Digital images should be at least 640x480 (2MP 1600x1200 or larger preferred). The following formats are required: JPEG, TIFF, PNG, or BMP. MS Word or MS Publisher documents cannot be used.
- The preferred video format is uncompressed .AVI or .DV files. Other formats such as MPEG and MOV are acceptable as well.
- Video files should be saved in the highest quality possible. Once quality is lost in compression, it is not possible to improve the quality of the video on your DVD.
- Jostens can scan print photographs and digitize video. However, material submitted will not be returned. Duplicate copies are encouraged.
- Jostens can convert video footage from the following formats: MiniDV, Digital8, Hi8, or VHS.
If you are not able to edit these videos into clips, be sure to specify the exact portions of the video to be used in the special instructions section of the Submission Form.